Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Too many gurus are frauds and con artists
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Godslave

Canada
108 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2020 :  3:34:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm interested in reading about Yoga practitioners and teachers. I've just started reading Autobiography of a Yogi by Yogananda.

But right away he started making claims about remembering past lives and early childhood memories.

How do you go about sorting which stories and teaching are true versus false, in books like this?

And how do you approach learning from "gurus" and "teachers" of Yoga, when there have been so many who were just liars/con-artists/selfish ?

Thanks...

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2020 :  09:14:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Godslave,

When we begin on the spiritual path, we will have a certain experience of the world, and we will base what we believe to be true or untrue on that experience. Then, as we practice yoga, our experience changes, and the more we practice, the more it changes. As the inner purification happens, we begin to see things, hear things, feel things that we were not previously aware of. Our inner senses come alive.

So, if teachers talk about experiencing previous lives, or early childhood memories, that could just be because they have developed greater awareness of these things. It is not a big deal and actually does not have a great deal to do with liberation. Someone who can remember previous lives is no more free than someone who can't. In fact, these things can be more of a distraction than anything else. Sometimes they are useful. In Yogananada's case, he was able to remember the feeling of being in the womb, and that inspired him to practice, because he wanted to experience the same peace and bliss that a baby in the womb experiences.

As for how can you tell the difference between a genuine teacher and one who is just making things up as they go along, that is not always easy. Some teachers are very good at faking it! My experience is that as we practice, we develop the ability to discern between a teacher who is genuine, who is teaching from their own experience and out of compassion for others, and a teacher who is fake. We develop the ability of discernment. Anything that is not true, or not honest, becomes repellent.

Some teachers simply do not talk about many experiences that they have on the path, because people simply would not believe it. Others are more open and sharing, but can get criticized for it, by those who don't believe what they are saying. So, when people become teachers, they have to steer a careful path. Not always an easy one.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Godslave

Canada
108 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2020 :  1:55:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

Thanks for the reply.
Go to Top of Page

Godslave

Canada
108 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2020 :  2:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, so after searching online I learned that Yogananda started an organization called the Self Realization Fellowing (SRF), which is a cult.

This is similar to Osho, and others.

I find that the first thing I have to do after finding a new Yoga book to read, is research whether it is associated with fraud or a cult.

Thankfully, the AYP books are much more positive, though there are some experiences mentioned there that don't make sense to me.

I'm not expecting an answer on this, of course. I'm just sharing my thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2020 :  7:17:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Godslave,

I can understand that there are experiences described in the AYP books that do not make much sense. As I mentioned above, as we practice, our perspective changes. Yogani's perspective on the world is very different than most people's. Almost 100% different as the background becomes the foreground.

If you have not read it already, then you may find the Secrets of Wilder novel an interesting read. Plenty of experiences in there that I am sure you will not believe! It is a good book to read whilst on lockdown! The audio version is part of AYP Plus here.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2020 :  8:30:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good to hear from you again, Godslave

The practice of amaroli first struck me as strange; the idea of consuming urine as yoga!, not to mention repulsive! I dabbled in it starting with a very low dose. I discovered over time and after the awakening of ecstatic conductivity, it proved to be a ‘stabilizer’ for this reporter. There is now an immediate sense of well-being for more than a half hour after consuming six to eight ounces daily. I am glad I did not rule it out from the get-go.

You are wise to do your research beforehand, and to trust your instincts. As Christi has mentioned, our experiences change experience, and we come to have greater respect and confidence in our inner guru as we go forward. We compare our paths with those who have gone before us and our choices become better defined because of this.
Go to Top of Page

Godslave

Canada
108 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2020 :  2:39:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Godslave,

If you have not read it already, then you may find the Secrets of Wilder novel an interesting read. Plenty of experiences in there that I am sure you will not believe! It is a good book to read whilst on lockdown! The audio version is part of AYP Plus here.

Christi

Hi Christi,

Yes, I have read Secrets of Wilder, a number of years ago now. I did enjoy it. The fact that it is fiction, and not presented as fact, makes the unrealistic/unusual events such as out-of-body travel, seen by another person, more palatable.

Because it's not presented as fact, it conveys the story to me well, without "breaking the suspension of disbelief" too much. Breaking that makes the story hard to stay with.

I liked the aspirations and direction of the story, but yes certain parts such as the out-of-body, the glowing body, and the total peace and harmony in the spiritual community definitely stayed in the land of fiction for me :)
Go to Top of Page

Godslave

Canada
108 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2020 :  3:19:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

Good to hear from you again, Godslave

The practice of amaroli first struck me as strange; the idea of consuming urine as yoga!, not to mention repulsive! I dabbled in it starting with a very low dose. I discovered over time and after the awakening of ecstatic conductivity, it proved to be a ‘stabilizer’ for this reporter. There is now an immediate sense of well-being for more than a half hour after consuming six to eight ounces daily. I am glad I did not rule it out from the get-go.

You are wise to do your research beforehand, and to trust your instincts. As Christi has mentioned, our experiences change experience, and we come to have greater respect and confidence in our inner guru as we go forward. We compare our paths with those who have gone before us and our choices become better defined because of this.

Good to hear from you, too, Dogboy :)

Thanks for the encouragement, Dogboy and Christi. As I learn more, I paradoxically realize that there are certain things that I can't know, at least not to the amount of certainty I want.

It's complicated for me, because I have had spiritual experiences, but some have turned out to most likely have been delusions or hallucinations, due to a mental illness I had.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2020 :  4:59:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Godslave,

quote:
and the total peace and harmony in the spiritual community definitely stayed in the land of fiction for me :)

Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2020 :  6:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Godslave
I have had spiritual experiences, but some have turned out to most likely have been delusions

We can all fall prey to delusions. Seeing through them is an ability we gain through meditation.

And, as you have probably read on this website many times, experiences are overrated. The question is, is your life better overall for keeping up your yoga practice?
Go to Top of Page

Godslave

Canada
108 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2020 :  4:11:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

quote:
Originally posted by Godslave
I have had spiritual experiences, but some have turned out to most likely have been delusions

We can all fall prey to delusions. Seeing through them is an ability we gain through meditation.

And, as you have probably read on this website many times, experiences are overrated. The question is, is your life better overall for keeping up your yoga practice?

Thanks for the encouragement :)

To answer the question, I do AYP Spinal Breathing 5 minutes followed by Deep Breathing 10 minutes, once a day. And I find it is very positive and helpful. It helps me relax and have a calm state of mind.

I know it's not recommended, but I do this just before going to sleep each night, and it works very well for me. It's hard for me to put aside time during the day for it.

So the practices that I've tried have been helpful. I have had problems with making my headaches worse with Spinal Breathing, at times, but have figured out not to go too far forward to/through my forehead, and it has been a lot better.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2020 :  6:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I know it's not recommended, but I do this just before going to sleep each night, and it works very well for me. It's hard for me to put aside time during the day for it.

It is not recommended because, for some, SBP is energetic, not ideal for sleep in that respect. If you find it calming, then by all means, breath away!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000