Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 The effect of marijuana on kundalini
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redbushlighter

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2019 :  1:10:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey all,

I'd like to get a discussion going of the effects of marijuana on kundalini. My kundalini awoke prematurely last february, and besides a break here in there, I have been smoking almost every night since. I know this isn't recommended, it's something I struggle with. It's the only drug I do, besides lsd and mushrooms from time to time.

Anyways, I'd like to get a clearer picture on what marijuana does to the subtle energy system and kundalini. I've found that when I wake up after a night of smoking, my brain area feels dehydrated almost? Like it's dry and there's a dull pain. I'd never gotten this before my awakening (perhaps it was there but I wasn't aware of it.) I'm getting the sense that is disturbs the flow of energy in the body, because I generally have a harder time meditating after a night of smoking. Pranayama becomes more difficult too.

Anyone have experience/insight they'd like to share? I suppose i'm seeking more perspective cause I want to stop smoking, I know intuitively it's not conducive to a wholesome practice. I'm hoping more insight might push me to replace this habit with a better one (like more yoga!)

Thanks!

Edited by - AYPforum on Oct 07 2019 10:47:58 AM

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2019 :  10:47:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2019 :  07:03:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello RBL,

Thank you for sharing your experience. While we could speculate about the effects of marihuana on kundalini, one thing is clear: This is not supporting the process of spiritual transformation. It is at least a delay in the journey, if not a complete deviation from the course. You are right to consider to stop using marijuana.

Here is a thread started by someone looking to stop smoking:
https://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic...OPIC_ID=4598

And here is a thread about the 12 Step Programs for Compulsive/Addictive Behavior:
https://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic...TOPIC_ID=376

Hope you find these useful and give them a try!
Best wishes on your path!
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2019 :  09:49:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
And this: https://www.aypsite.org/307.html

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

redbushlighter

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2019 :  2:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Blanche and yogani for your replies. This is what I needed to hear.
Go to Top of Page

zamolxes

Romania
93 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2021 :  5:30:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

As an ex-smoker I can say that cannabis is indeed a deviation. With practices we become more conscious, or rather we dissolve into consciousness, while smoking weed makes us slightly unaware, or rather we are trapped in a bubble separated from the river of consciousness. Before developing ecstatic conductivity and inner silence, many people consider weed as something spiritual, because it takes them out of their bubble into a new one, offering them another experience of life, that's what happened to me. Then, the first time I smoked after a while doing my practices I noticed a tremendous and senseless break, a break from the flow of life. But even this break is part of it all.
Go to Top of Page

jclone

United Arab Emirates
61 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  07:21:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a good discussion, thanks for posting this RBL.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2021 :  7:40:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cannabis easily heightens ecstatic conductivity in this yogi.
Go to Top of Page

Gustavo Woltmann

Italy
22 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2021 :  07:27:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I totally agree with this.
quote:
Originally posted by jclone

This is a good discussion, thanks for posting this RBL.

Go to Top of Page

lightandlove

Germany
85 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2021 :  12:04:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Most of the people I know who were heavy cannabis smokers stopped completely after some years of meditation. In the beginning they often described their habit as something that helps them being more creative and getting deeper insights. After a while they admitted that it drains their energy and meditation works better in the long run. I only know one guy still heavily smoking in an addicting behaviour. It can be a strong habit.

I personally lost interest as it didn't work well with pranayama and makes me drowsy for a couple of days. Insights from cannabis always seemed chaotic to me.
Go to Top of Page

zamolxes

Romania
93 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2021 :  7:22:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Light and love, I believe cannabis influence our EC, because in my smoking stage I would feel my mind open up, similar to prana coming into the head. I could think some things pretty complex while at the same time tied to my intuition. Now instead, having my system worked with pranayama, with the third eye opened if you will, if I smoke my inner seeing gets bombarde with senseless information, from seeing an entire dream (as if being asleep) in a fraction of a second, to having mental illnesses predispositions flare up, psychotic thoughts, fears accentuated, negativity full on. Well those are the extreme reactions, usually there was this feeling of being disconnected with the source of life, the loss of willpower which made me drowsy and lazy for one day. Then I would do some strong bhastrika to clean my system and accept the blessing that I couldn't smoke anymore.
Go to Top of Page

jclone

United Arab Emirates
61 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2021 :  08:58:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate the kundalini lifestyle that has a very high vibration and is really divine. I am just learning the practice and already have gained many benefits from it.

With respect to cannabis, there is a revolution now happening with much new learning and discoveries about its numerous advantages. Today, it almost seems like a miracle drug. Many previous understandings of cannabis have now been disproved, such as being a gateway drug which instead is now being used to get people off opioids and the # of prescriptions for these killer drugs are falling fast.
Go to Top of Page

alain

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2021 :  3:09:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Traditional Nagababas or Nagasadhus, the naked yogis often seen during the festival of Kumbha Mela use poten indica strain of cannabis from the Himalayas. Apparently to keep warm. I would probably do it to if I had to jump naked in the Gange in April. Although cannabis is still illegal in India, government agents are tasked with providing the herb to the sadhus. Cannabis is legal in my country, and distributed by the govt.
As far as Im concerned I find it is not compatible with a steady progression. Cannabis is mildly hallucinogenic so it distords reality. So the truth that we are lookign for in yoga is also distorded. Cannabis has many medicinal applications and I think that is where its utility lies.
alain
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2021 :  05:17:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i think it all depends on the person. Some ppl get fantastic effects from it and some just dont.

I find that for me it would induce a fogginess the next day and its like it was destroying brain cells. The next day trying to piece a sentence together correctly was difficult. So i completely abstain.

a friend recently asked me if i wanted some and the first words out of my mouth were "no thanks i feel good enough". How empowering to not need any mood enhancers at all !
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2021 :  1:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SparklingDiamond

i think it all depends on the person. Some ppl get fantastic effects from it and some just dont.

I find that for me it would induce a fogginess the next day and its like it was destroying brain cells. The next day trying to piece a sentence together correctly was difficult. So i completely abstain.

a friend recently asked me if i wanted some and the first words out of my mouth were "no thanks i feel good enough". How empowering to not need any mood enhancers at all !

Yes, we get liberated and many small ways, not just in a big way.
I had a similar exchange with somebody commenting on my taking caffeine free tea only. He said "No cocaine for you then" and I replied "I'm already high".
Go to Top of Page

k.cherry

USA
86 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2021 :  11:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Like some others here, I’m of the view that it’s mostly unhelpful, if not a hefty long-term barrier. The effects of cannabis are difficult to classify in a tidy way, as both the biological mechanisms and myriad active compounds within the plant are complex and nuanced. Add to that the fact that individuals react differently to it, and we have a muddy situation at best. However, there are a couple research findings that have stood out to me as beginning to paint an interesting picture.

Some potential effects of THC on the endocrine system...
-Reduces the flow of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) [1]
-Disrupts the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal (HPG) axis [2]
-Disrupts the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis [2]

From this, we can see that these effects are diametrically opposed to our spiritual goals, almost pointedly. If we dampen the flow of CSF long-term, we likely dampen the nectar cycle and arising of amrita. If we disrupt the brain’s ability to properly communicate to the adrenal glands and gonads, we further put our lower energies out of contact with the higher energies. Shiva and Shakti are further divided and can’t dance properly in step with each other. If I think of K as my long-lost lover and the spine as the telephone line used to reach her, then cannabis is a jealous lover seducing me with scenery while trying to squeeze that telephone line shut. Hell hath no fury!

For some context, marijuana has been a notable part of my path, along with alcohol. With the exception of 7 months clean last year, I’ve smoked every day for about three years. There were some benefits early on, and I credit it with helping me get into my body and to feel my sexual energies a lot better. However, the days of benefits are long gone, and as the research suggests, the end result is that I feel energetically cut off and dysregulated. I pass no judgement on anyone for use or non-use (of anything), and believe every yogi has different pranic/experiential needs at different times. Some might even be better off using the stuff if they have more pressing issues, but I don’t consider myself one of those who needs it, and look forward to the day it naturally falls away.

Just my two cents!

-KC

[1] https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2996472/ (this is admittedly just the abstract, as the full text isn't available for free)
[2] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar.../PMC6813821/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000