Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 spinal breathing vs. microcosmic orbit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2019 :  01:45:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've been doing the microcosmic orbit meditation for about a year prior to discovering AYP. I realized these practices are very similar except during the exhalation the focus follows the channel in the front of the body in the microcosmic orbit meditation. Is it critical to bring the attention back down the same way in spinal breathing or is it ok to complete the orbit?

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2019 :  10:31:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi interpaul

I think you will find some answers in this older thread:
https://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic...OPIC_ID=4064
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2019 :  12:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
BlueRaincoat, Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. There is a wealth of collective experience in that post and I am grateful to you for helping me.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2019 :  5:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2019 :  07:12:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by interpaul

I've been doing the microcosmic orbit meditation for about a year prior to discovering AYP. I realized these practices are very similar except during the exhalation the focus follows the channel in the front of the body in the microcosmic orbit meditation. Is it critical to bring the attention back down the same way in spinal breathing or is it ok to complete the orbit?

Hi interpaul,

With Spinal Breathing Pranayama it is important to bring the attention back down the spinal nerve, following the same route that we go up. The practice works directly inside the sushumna nadi.

The micro-cosmic orbit is a different practice which falls outside of the AYP baseline. It is a very beautiful practice and one which I used personally for quite a while. It has a different effect on the subtle nervous system.

With AYP, it is possible to incorporate practices from different traditions. It is an open system and people are able to experiment with different practices. The advice that Yogani gives over combining practices is to become well established with the basic AYP practices first, so that you have a strong baseline to carry you through before branching out into experiments with other systems. He also advises people that they should be able to feel the prana flowing through their body before making any experiments, because it is important to be able to know what is going on.

There is also a general caution on doubling-up on energetic practices, as the purification involved can cause instability.

See this lesson on combining AYP practices with other practices:

Lesson 384 - Baseline Systems of Practice and Research on Modifications

Christi
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2019 :  7:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi, Thanks for your comments. After reading a number of replies I decided to follow the general wisdom of sticking with one practice. Since the microcosmic orbit was something I enjoyed and my entry into this new type of energy practice, I was reluctant to give it up and it seemed very similar. Now that spinal breathing is more familiar to me and I am enjoying the AYP practices I am fine with putting the MCO on hold for awhile as there is a lot more to work with in AYP.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2019 :  09:00:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

JJJ

43 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2019 :  12:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi
I just started SPB. I visualize spinal tube (nerve) just in the middle of my body ( not in the back where the spine is).It is maybe because I am slouching a little or maybe it is just easier for me (or natural). Should I try to visualize spinal nerve more in the back where the spine is or it is ok to keep going like I am doing this now? I am asking because now I read that there are some other practises that involve front channels and I don't want to make some mistake.
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2019 :  7:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
JJJ, My sense of this is we are using our imagination to visualize these pathways. Over time the experience of the energy moving becomes very real. For the microcosmic orbit I have followed a practice of slowly focusing on the various chakras and moving my attention up them and down them. As I've grown better at bringing my attention to the various areas it has made it easier to move the energy. For instance putting your energy on the heart is relatively easy as you can feel the heart beat if you calm yourself. Visualizing the perineum is also very easy as we men are all familiar with having our energy center there. I had some trouble bringing my attention to the solar plexus. When I switched over to the spinal breathing it took me some time to direct my mind differently. I would try to visualize it along the area described by Yogani as there are other practices that work on different areas so putting your intention in the correct place likely will have value and avoid you getting into a bad habit, my two cents.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2019 :  03:34:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by JJJ

Hi
I just started SPB. I visualize spinal tube (nerve) just in the middle of my body ( not in the back where the spine is).It is maybe because I am slouching a little or maybe it is just easier for me (or natural). Should I try to visualize spinal nerve more in the back where the spine is or it is ok to keep going like I am doing this now? I am asking because now I read that there are some other practises that involve front channels and I don't want to make some mistake.

Hi JJJ,

The advice given in AYP is to begin by visualizing the spinal nerve going up inside the spinal column.

However, as Interpaul mentions, at some point we will begin to be able feel the prana flowing in the body. Although the spinal nerve (sushumna) begins inside the spine, as it purifies it will expand and also move forwards in the body. It will gradually move towards the centre of the body, going directly up from the perineuum to the centre of the head and from there to ajna chakra.

So, of you are feeling the prana flowing in the centre of your body, then it is fine to follow what you are experiencing.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

JJJ

43 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2019 :  04:04:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interpaul, Christi
Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Z1839

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  8:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just another question regarding the spinal breathing- is it the prana sensation that I want to draw my awareness to, or the breathing pattern along with the prana/spinal nerve. I notice that when I focus on the prana/spinal nerve, my body does the automatic kriyas/mudras and breathing patterns (various forms of retention, uddiyana and nauli banda). On the other hand, I can focus on the breathing pattern with the spinal nerve that doesn't manifest as many phenomenon.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  10:35:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Your attention should be on the tracing of the spinal nerve.

Sey

Go to Top of Page

Z1839

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  08:44:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I see, so I should let my breathing do what it wants, as long as I’m focusing on the spinal nerve? If so, my breathing rate can get very, very low.

Also, for the spinal nerve sensation: is it required to trace it like “3rd eye on inhalation, root on exhalation” as written in many resources? I find it easier for me to just focus on both locations at the same time, and holding them in delicate balance with my breath.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  09:32:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Z1839,

quote:
I see, so I should let my breathing do what it wants, as long as I’m focusing on the spinal nerve? If so, my breathing rate can get very, very low.

It is fine if your breathing rate becomes very low. That is natural. In fact the breath can suspend all together for a while. That is fine too.

quote:
Also, for the spinal nerve sensation: is it required to trace it like “3rd eye on inhalation, root on exhalation” as written in many resources? I find it easier for me to just focus on both locations at the same time, and holding them in delicate balance with my breath.

Yes, the attention will be at the third eye at the end of inhalation and at the root chakra at the end of exhalation, tracing the spinal nerve between the two points on inhalation and exhalation.

See here for the full instructions:

Lesson 41: Spinal Breathing Pranayama

Christi

Go to Top of Page

Presence Light

Algeria
26 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2020 :  3:44:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi
I apologize for the inaccurate language

Is trying to recall the cold and warm sensation of memory in the
process of moving attention through the spinal nerve helping in the purge process?
Or wait for this to form for feelings automatically?
Thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000