Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Vajrasattva mantra and AYP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jefftos

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2019 :  11:20:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
So I am doing the baseline practices. 10 mins of asanas, 5 mins of SBP, 20 mins of DM, and 10 mins of rest and this is very stable for me. However, I am reading and studying Tibetan Buddhism through the discovering Buddhism course over at the FPMT website. They recommend that you start doing the 100,000 vajrasattva mantras right away either through a retreat or at home. I began doing about 21 mantras to 108 a day for a couple of days but I put my ayp practices on hold while I did that because it felt like it may be doubling up on practices since vajrasattva mantra is supposed to be a purification practice I figured it might be too similar to what we already do in our practices here. Does anyone else have experience with this? Would it be better to simply just continue with ayp practices while learning about the tradition and not practice the techniques that they give just to be on the safe side? Or does anyone have experience integrating the two in a safe way? I know well what it is to overload and don’t want to do that again so I’m just looking for anyone who has had experience combining these two lines.

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2019 :  1:09:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani mentions often that one should pick one approach and stick with it for awhile, to gauge how it affects your everyday well being, so it is really up to you which one you favor. AYP has been around awhile and the beauty of it being open source (and having this forum) is you have a proven safe method and many people with which you can "compare notes". The FTMB method sounds as if it is time consuming and hits the throttle early one versus AYP which is simple, methodical, and encourages stability. I don't think you'll find many here that "cross train" and most, like myself, are biased toward AYP; for the reasons above I'd recommend AYP, but ultimately it boils down to which draws you to your seat each day, and which makes your life beyond your seat uplifting and positive.
Go to Top of Page

Jefftos

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2019 :  1:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

Yogani mentions often that one should pick one approach and stick with it for awhile, to gauge how it affects your everyday well being, so it is really up to you which one you favor. AYP has been around awhile and the beauty of it being open source (and having this forum) is you have a proven safe method and many people with which you can "compare notes". The FTMB method sounds as if it is time consuming and hits the throttle early one versus AYP which is simple, methodical, and encourages stability. I don't think you'll find many here that "cross train" and most, like myself, are biased toward AYP; for the reasons above I'd recommend AYP, but ultimately it boils down to which draws you to your seat each day, and which makes your life beyond your seat uplifting and positive.

Thanks for your reply dogboy, honestly I am biased toward AYP as a practice as well. It’s been my go to practice for many years and it doesn’t let me down. I am mostly taking that FPMT course because of a strong yearning and Bhakti that’s been stirring in me to read spiritual material and that course has got it in bucketloads, plus Ive been resonating well with Buddhist teachings a lot lately, it’s just that the course has also got a lot of practices that come with it and I can see a lot of overlap between the practices they recommend and AYP. I’m leaning toward just continuing my already stable practice and just reading the material with a grain of salt.
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2019 :  04:28:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jefftos,

I don´t have experience with the FPMT website or with the Vajrasattva mantra. However I have experienced the first excellence of the Tripple Excelence program at https://dharmasun.org/content/
In that program, which is probably the most complete Tibetan Buddhist program online (it starts from the very basics, and in the third excellence it includes sadhanas from Kagyu (6 yogas of Naropa) and Nyigma (Dzogchen), you won´t be taking the Vajrasattva mantra practice until the third excellence.

I think the first excellence can be done while practising AYP since most of the time of the daily videos are kwnoledge based (very useful to develop the right views and the need and desire for practices). I haven´t studied The second excellence, but I think that they teach samatha / vippasana (usually they don´t stir things up as much as mantra practice) besides teaching their views about the consciousness, paramitas, etc.

Perhaps I´ll study the second excellence in the future when I have more time, since I don´t want to stop my sitting practices.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000