Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Let's Honor Our Bodies
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2018 :  11:53:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I started yoga with asana. Then, I decided that meditation and bhakti were superior. Hmmm.... I don't know.

My relative (who is a bhakti), currently has a basketball ( not joking) size tumor. She's not that big! How divorced is she from what's going on with her body?(She didn't know)

It makes you wonder. Maybe, asana is important. Even if you've "transcended" the body. Not to look like someone else, but at least know what's going on!

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2018 :  04:09:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lalow

As you know, asanas have their place among the 8 limbs. An integrated practice, with meditation, asanas, pranayama etc. will always be more effective. There are of course people who are more sensitive to practices, or people who happen to have more inner silence to start with. For them asanas may go a long way.

quote:
Originally posted by lalow33
My relative (who is a bhakti), currently has a basketball ( not joking) size tumor. She's not that big! How divorced is she from what's going on with her body?(She didn't know)

Bhakti is useful when it motivates people to practice.
Bhakti without knowing what or how to practice is very sad. It's a bit like starting a fire to cook your dinner, but there is nothing to put on the fire, so there will be no dinner.

I see so many people who are full of devotion. They attend religious services and go on pilgrimage every so often. This is the drama of Christianity I think. The practices have been lost and the followers have been left with this amazingly inspiring ishta that Jesus is. But nobody teaches them any practices. I got hopeful when I saw a book about meditation in a cathedral shop around here. It looks like there is a realisation, at least in some Christians circles, that some form of regular practice is needed alongside devotion.

If you feel asanas would be beneficial to you at the moment, go for it. Their effects will be enhance by all the hours you have spent doing meditation and other advanced yoga.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2018 :  1:22:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ecstatic conductivity has made my asana practice have an energy signature, and in that way, more meditative. Holding a pose is now expressed inside and out by simply being open to residing within that signature of both energy and silence. Throughout my day I am better aware of body weight distribution and balance, and this without a doubt will keep me ambulatory into my later years.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000