Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Multiple Teachers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nirguna

Australia
57 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2018 :  6:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello again.

I have question in regards to multiple teachers or gurus. I know that traditionally this is seen as a form of spiritual prostitution. Some modern teachers hold this view even at present time.

On the other hand, I know that some people had multiple gurus with no problems associated with it. Each teacher served their purpose on the student path.

I have a little dilemma about it and that is why I am expressing it here. Analogy of digging well at multiple sites comes to mind. I am hoping that some of you might bring some clarity to this.

Thank you.

Nirguna

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2018 :  7:55:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is all about perspective. Learning does not stop just because one isn't going to school. Everyday is a teacher, every interaction is a lesson in wisdom. Let your inner guru guide you. Once you begin self inquiry, all your questions and (hopefully, the dependence on external gurus) will begin to melt. With AYP at least you have found the path. Now the mission is to utilize the learnings. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Arunachala Bhakta

Finland
30 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2018 :  09:42:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ramakrishna:
"THE Guru is only one, but Upa-gurus (secondary gurus) may be many. He is an Upa-guru from whom anything whatsoever is learned. It is mentioned in the Bhagavata that the great Avadhuta (a great yogi) had twenty four such Upa-Gurus."

http://www.ramakrishnavivekananda.i...s/1-169.html

Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2018 :  07:08:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My opinion is that if you are a beginner and running to every Guru that comes to town and switching techniques everytime you will not be making ultimate progress. Best to stick to one set of techniques until you have reached a degree of proficiency that allows you to recognise the effects and effectiveness of different techniques and for that you have to stick to a baseline for a number of years. After that you will be better positioned to gauge the effectiveness of new techniques. A person can still be your Guru without you switching to his/her technique. Example - I consider SriYukteswar my guru even if I am not practicing Kriya Yoga and a few others from different traditions. Technique-wise, however, I remain an AYPer.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2018 :  08:32:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nirguna,

You may find lesson 57 useful on the subject of having multiple teachers:

Lesson 57 - The Guru is in Me?

Christi
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2018 :  09:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Nirguna

Hello again.

I have question in regards to multiple teachers or gurus. I know that traditionally this is seen as a form of spiritual prostitution. Some modern teachers hold this view even at present time.

On the other hand, I know that some people had multiple gurus with no problems associated with it. Each teacher served their purpose on the student path.

I have a little dilemma about it and that is why I am expressing it here. Analogy of digging well at multiple sites comes to mind. I am hoping that some of you might bring some clarity to this.

Thank you.

Nirguna

If it is like in Buddhism where you can have multiple guru's yet they are all within the same tradition. One guru may teach you a new practice when you are ready.

Going from one set of practices to another is not a good idea.
Go to Top of Page

bsash

India
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2020 :  05:11:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

I stumbled across AYP today while searching for some words of Ramakrishna. I am glad I can listen to others interested in spirituality. I also noticed that there are a lot of lessons here and I am little scared to go through them. The below quote from Sey's sums up why this is.

quote:
My opinion is that if you are a beginner and running to every Guru that comes to town and switching techniques everytime you will not be making ultimate progress. Best to stick to one set of techniques until you have reached a degree of proficiency that allows you to recognise the effects and effectiveness of different techniques and for that you have to stick to a baseline for a number of years.

I have been meditating, praying regularly for a few months and seriously started trying to practice since about a year ago. Through quite a few ups and down, like most people I guess, I have now some form of stable practice which I do everyday. Every new thing I read or learn causes some agitation in my mind and it takes a while for it to settle down. Also, for me, techniques have a danger of becoming rules. Keeping this in mind how do I deal with new material that comes my way? Like the lessons here on AYP?

(Well, most of the time, when I am clear headed, I just surrender to the divine mother and let her teach me whatever she sees fit. But sometimes my ego won't let me sit still till I make a decision myself. This being one of those times.)
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2020 :  07:25:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome bsash

At the risk of giving you another “rule”, I would begin by evaluating your current practice. How are you feeling (in your daily waking hours) beyond your meditation session? Can you do your practice on a consistent basis? Do you feel your practice is building on itself: exciting your bhakti, providing you insights, and/or giving you spiritual confidence? As AYP is my first attempt at meditation, I have no other practice to compare it to, nor have I had the desire to shop around. Because of the results from AYP, because of the design for my busy, householder life, because of the AYP community (forum), because of the extensive lessons and explanations from Yogani, I came to knowing that this is where I belonged, and that it was no accident it presented itself in my life when I needed it most.
Go to Top of Page

bsash

India
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2020 :  10:07:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks dogboy for the questions.
I may need to contemplate them for a while longer to understand them better.

But I am able to practice consistently, beyond my meditating hours I feel peaceful but also a slight longing to go back and sit down with eyes closed. Yes, I have a bit more confidence now than when I began and I do feel like it's a journey with new things unfolding.

'Exciting your bhakti'
Now this I do not know how to evaluate. Sometimes tears roll down freely as I sing but sometimes it feels very mechanical, like I am just repeating words. Last night I couldn't sleep due to some presence and was feeling blessed to have it. Now I don't feel it anymore. Can one evaluate one's own bhakti?

How would you answer your questions?

(btw, I have started going through the lessons here cautiously..)

Edited by - bsash on Jun 17 2020 10:19:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2020 :  2:08:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello bsash, welcome to the AYP forum!

I think we can tell that your bhakti is pretty strong. You don't need to worry about topping it up

Reading the AYP lesson doesn't necessarily mean that you will change your practice. They can be 'food for thought' for people who are following other teachings. You will notice that many of the lessons here are not about technique, but about stages of the journey and self-pacing (a useful thing to understand whatever your yoga practice).

Should you start to feel that you'd like to change your practice, that is a decision to consider carefully - no knee-jerk reaction.

Enjoy your reading
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2020 :  09:07:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nirguma

I dont liken it to "spiritual prostitution"

Rather to outgrowing a sprituall teacher's info and then moving onwards and upwards to our next teacher who has something to teach us on our path. As they say there are many paths to the mountain

Just like they say we never have all the same spirit guides; they change when we do.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2020 :  07:35:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We may have one teacher in a lifetime, or a number of teachers. We may get to a point when we recognize that everybody is our teacher, if we are open to learn. Beyond the appearances, there is only one Teacher who guides us on our journey: our Higher Self/the Absolute/the Divine. No matter what we call This, It is here for us, at every step.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000