New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

angeleeyes

104 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2017 :  08:22:55 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6wkqwbRgBg

In this video Sadhguru talks about spine and sushumna this is very interesting to me I want to know more about sushumna and its capabilities.can anyone help me find more information (books, videos,...) about it?

thank you!

Edited by - AYPforum on Jul 22 2017 10:22:13 AM

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2017 :  10:22:13 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2017 :  10:33:05 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear angeleeyes

You are exploring and expanding the Sushumna every day with your spinal breathing practice, I AM mediation all the the other AYP techniques you are practicing.

What would you like to "know" about it?

Go to Top of Page

angeleeyes

104 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2017 :  10:41:50 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dear BlueRaincoat,

thank you for replying,

In the video he says that spine is the axis of the universe and the sushumna can be used in many ways I want to know all about that.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2017 :  11:30:35 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, every single yoga practice is a way of "using" the sushumna, yes? You move up and down it during SBP, you vibrate it with the mantra, you push the energy upwards the sushumna with mulabandha and sambhavi, stimulate its upper levels with kechari etc etc. Take any yogic practice or state you want, including samadhi, they all "use" the sushumna.
Yes, it is the axis of the universe and it is the universe.

Does this answer your question?
Go to Top of Page

angeleeyes

104 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2017 :  11:42:07 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
I know they yoga practices use sushumna but I want to know about sushumna itself and how to use it in different ways.In the video Sadhguru says you can bring various kind of quality to sushumna etc.

I want to know all about these qualities and how to bring them into sushumna.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2017 :  12:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
You will remember Sadhguru said in the video that you first have to become 'colourless' or 'transparent', then you will be able to adopt any quality or 'colour' from your environment and it will not stick to you. That is the condition of maintaining the ability to bring any quality into sushumna, any time. So it goes back to cleaning the sushumna by doing yoga practices. When you have cleaned it, you will not need to ask how to do it. Perhaps the best part of Sadhguru's speech is "I should not be saying these things to you". What he means is that it is not a matter of theoretical knowledge.

One of the things I mostly respect in Sadhguru as a teacher is that he puts individual practice in the right place. I get the impression he discourages people from simply going to see him, but uses the events he organises as an incentive to practice. I once noticed an event for which practicing a few yoga techniques a few months in advance was a precondition of attendance.

So enjoy your practice, and you will be able to bring varied qualities to the sushumna by and by.

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Jul 22 2017 12:37:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

angeleeyes

104 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2017 :  1:25:15 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I know i should practice and cleans the sushumna but before that I'm interested to know more about it. Are there any books about this?

could you talk about your own experience about sushumna(and these qualities) and what is your own understanding based on experience?

thank you again

Edited by - angeleeyes on Jul 22 2017 1:27:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2017 :  1:56:37 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe I could begin to talk about these qualities... How long have you got? They are the qualities of the world around, an infinity of them. I am the waving of the tall grass in the wind and the silkiness of sand when I walk barefoot on a beach, I am the pain of the homeless I occasionally meet in town and loneliness of some of the elderly people I bump into sometimes. And the only way I'm able to exist without carrying all this pain with me is by letting in go, or, in Sadhguru's words, being "transparent". When I'm not, I suffer. And the fact that I sometimes do, tells me that I still have a cleansing job to do.

Good luck with yours angeleeyes

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Jul 22 2017 1:58:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

angeleeyes

104 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2017 :  2:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you dear BlueRaincoat,

sometimes practicing pranayama is difficult because of energy coming up and I tend to go up and down the sushumna with normal breathing (sometimes during the day I feel my entire spine)i think it is also effective what do you think?
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2017 :  2:58:15 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by angeleeyes
sometimes practicing pranayama is difficult because of energy coming up

Be kind to yourself.
quote:
I tend to go up and down the sushumna with normal breathing (sometimes during the day I feel my entire spine)
I'm not sure I grasp you meaning here - if you are finding yourself doing SBP during daily activity you may need to factor that into self-pacing.

Yes, your practice is effective and producing results.
Go to Top of Page

angeleeyes

104 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2017 :  02:04:32 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
If anyone can help me find more information about sushumna and inner workings of it I will be grateful. Please don't tell me practice and you will find for yourself I know it myself
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2017 :  08:04:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Angeleeyes,

BlueRaincoat gave you loving replies. As she and also Sadhguru said, we have to be in sushumna to find what we are looking for. Did you read Yogani's words on inner working in sushumna?

From lesson 44, and there are more lessons.......We effortlessly imagine the spinal nerve as a tiny tubular channel going from our perineum (the spot underneath, between the anus and the genitals) to the point between the eyebrows. During inhalation we trace it up the center of the spine to the center of the head, and turn forward to the center of the brow. On exhalation we trace it back down the same path to the perineum again, and so on, over and over, for our time of pranayama. If we realize we are not tracing the spinal nerve up and down during our pranayama session, we just easily come back to it. We don't force the mental image of the spinal nerve. We gently favor it. The details will come on their own.

What is the spinal nerve? What is this sushumna thing? Is it something we will just keep imagining in our pranayama forever, and that's it? Fortunately, not. Imagining the spinal nerve and tracing it up and down in pranayama is only the beginning. At first, it is like making a survey of the land where we have been told there is a rich vein of gold underneath. Then we are digging, and soon we are into the gold. Then the imagining, the tracing of the mental image of it, takes on a different quality. We find we are into the vein of gold and there is no more looking for it. We know where it is. It is shining in our face. Our imagination is supplemented by the growing reality of it.

So, imagining the spinal nerve is just a beginning, We have to start somewhere. As we trace out the path of it over and over again with the breath, something begins to happen. Something starts coming up. It may be feelings. It may be colors. It may be sounds. We will experience something. We just keep practicing, not detouring very much into the sensations that come up. All the senses operate in the inner realms, and we are gradually opening them up. How we first perceive the spinal nerve depends on our unique condition, our unique pattern of purification that is going on in both pranayama and meditation. However unique our pattern of purification may be, we are uncovering the same thing, the sushumna, the spinal nerve. In doing so, we are opening up our highway to the infinite.

What we are doing in spinal breathing is simultaneously finding the spinal nerve and opening it. We find it by opening it, and then we keep opening it. It will not be the imagination alone for very long.

Soon we will be adding powerful features to our pranayama practice that will aid in opening the spinal nerve more quickly. The breathing and imagination will get lots of help. When you are mining for gold, you may want to use some dynamite. There is plenty of dynamite available. It will soon be brought to you. Then you can be quickly uncovering something very real as you go up and down in spinal breathing. The spinal nerve will become tangible on the inside, palpable. There will be less imagining of it. You will be in it, experiencing the inner dimensions of yourself. Ecstatic radiance will fill you and start to stretch you from within.

At some point you will come to a realization that is both comforting and scary at the same time. You will realize that while you have been looking for the spinal nerve, the spinal nerve has been looking for you. In finding the spinal nerve, the spinal nerve has found you. Then the doing will shift. Before, you were the one doing the seeking, digging and digging. Finding the spinal nerve changes that. Now it is the awakened spinal nerve that is doing the seeking, spreading out everywhere inside you, purifying every cell in you. You become a witness to a vast and glorious display of cosmic cleansing, and you are falling into an endless abyss of ecstasy. It is a humbling experience, and a gratifying one. Now you are witnessing first hand what has been recorded in the scriptures and truth writings of humanity for thousands of years.

This is what finding the spinal nerve is like. It is like being found. Then we move into a mode of surrender, accommodating the divine process going on inside, because we are no longer alone on this quest. We never were. We don't sit back and do nothing. There is much more for us to do -- many more means that can be applied to facilitate the transformation. So we go on with our daily practices, and add more advanced yoga practices, as we are able to digest them. There is no resting on our laurels. We may be full with ecstasy, but there is more, and we will not stop.

The guru is in you.

Edited by - Charliedog on Jul 23 2017 08:09:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

angeleeyes

104 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2017 :  09:50:36 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dear Charliedog,

Thank you for the reply,

Yes I have read Yogani's words years ago when I started AYP practices.
I'm looking for a complete reference.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2017 :  10:57:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you still practice daily AYP Angeleeyes?

When we evolve in our practices it could be interesting to re-read our spiritual books and lessons. The daily practice did his job and we can read with a completely new perspective the same literature. It will reveal deeper levels of understanding. This works only backwards and if we have a daily practice.

Maybe www.swamij.com is interesting for you, it is informative and complete.

quote:
Please don't tell me practice and you will find for yourself I know it myself

So I will not tell this to you.

Go to Top of Page

angeleeyes

104 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2017 :  11:13:52 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Do you still practice daily AYP Angeleeyes?

Yes, I do.

quote:
Maybe www.swamij.com is interesting for you, it is informative and complete.

thank you so much

quote:
So I will not tell this to you

Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2017 :  12:01:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Ps I forgot to say that also AYP is the complete journey in Yogani's words.
But you already know this.

Go to Top of Page

angeleeyes

104 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2017 :  07:05:52 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Charliedog

Ps I forgot to say that also AYP is the complete journey in Yogani's words.
But you already know this.

Yes, don't try to tell me what I already know!
use your yogic powers
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2017 :  08:29:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

maverick angel

France
42 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2017 :  02:42:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit maverick angel's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogananda is quite interesting on the spine. https://yogananda.com.au/pyr/pyr_kundalini2.html
Go to Top of Page

angeleeyes

104 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2017 :  12:05:22 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you maverick angel!
Go to Top of Page

angeleeyes

104 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2019 :  6:58:15 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

Recently when I have nothing to do I tend to sit and follow my spine the way we do in AYP spinal breathing pranayama but with normal breathing. I go up and down the spine. It feels very good and peaceful. Sometimes I like to find a way into sushumna and go into it so i pay attention to a point of sushumna and concentrate on it. It makes the breathing slower and feels like very deep meditation. What are the consequences of this practice? Is this something that should be avoided or it is perfectly fine?

Are there other ways of watching the breath other than watching the sensation of it? I mean watching the breath itself.

Edited by - angeleeyes on Jul 28 2019 01:54:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jourdain

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2019 :  1:25:58 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi all,

Recently when I have nothing to do I tend to sit and follow my spine the way we do in AYP spinal breathing pranayama but with normal breathing. I go up and down the spine. It feels very good and peaceful. Sometimes I like to find a way into sushumna and go into it so i pay attention to a point of sushumna and concentrate on it. It makes the breathing slower and feels like very deep meditation. What are the consequences of this practice? Is this something that should be avoided or it is perfectly fine?

Hi angeleeyes, to me those practices sound harmless in themselves, in fact very like SBP and DM. I guess I would expect them to awaken kundalini more quickly, because of the focus on the sushumna, but I gather you've already had that happen? So the remaining issue is that you're already doing SBP and DM, and now this on top of that--the "doubling up" that Yogani warns against, with its risk of overload that could manifest suddenly later on. You'd be the only one who could tell if that's safe for you or not. But you seem uncertain (since you're asking us), so I recommend caution.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2019 :  7:44:07 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Sometimes I like to find a way into sushumna and go into it so i pay attention to a point of sushumna and concentrate on it. It makes the breathing slower and feels like very deep meditation. What are the consequences of this practice? Is this something that should be avoided or it is perfectly fine?

“Concentration” infers intense attention. Energy follows attention, so if you are focusing strongly on a particular chakra, that could be troublesome over time. SBP is designed to prime the shushumna, as you trace it with breath, to stabilize energy flow before meditation and promote a balance with silence that is generated in DM. Resting attention gently, and shortly, on a particular sensation would most likely cause no harm, but I would not engage in this too much out of caution.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000