AYPsite.org Forum
 Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Anxiety as overloading? Please help.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2015 :  09:27:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

I recently restarted practicing asanas again after about three months off due to injury. I'm relatively very active in daily life, so didn't take much getting used to physically.

However, ive noticed a big change psychologically. I've been feeling very edgy since restarting. Maybe mild panic attacks, constantly.

Not edgy like I get after too much DM. This has a distinct anxiety feel to it. Throat constriction. Rapid heartbeat, inability to focus. Completely distracted.

Its been really disturbing me. I feel crazy. I recognize these symptoms from a time in the past when I had severe anxiety, probably due to fearing k symptoms. There is definitely anxiety happening, but I'm not sure if its the asanas or if I'm "just moving through" that stuff, like a phase.

Currently doing DM 2-3 x a week, 5 minutes a pop. 2-5 breaths spb before. No samyama.

Would appreciate your help.

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2015 :  10:10:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is something clearing and it will pass, Anxiety certainly is one of the outward symptoms of purification that can be experienced.

If you are doing something new that is a good place to start in figuring out why it is happening.

The only thing you can really do is just witness what is going on and this will make a buffer so you can function and watch as it passes.

Stuff like this is not fun but it goes with the territory and does pass.

This is why in the old traditions it was so important to study with a guru in person so they could talk to you and be a listening ear if nothing else, well today you have AYP and there are plenty of folks to talk with.

You are not alone.
Go to Top of Page

roboto212

USA
56 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2015 :  12:54:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This sounds like me when I've over done some practices.. It seems pranayama is the the easiest one to overdo.. Followed by mantra, and Asanas.. Sometimes light asanas, depending on what asanas im doing can be beneficial, but doing long asana sessions, especially with asanas that bend backward or forward or twist the spine.. Can be too much..

What kind of asanas are you doing and how long are your asana sessions?
Go to Top of Page

Beehive

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2015 :  1:05:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are not alone.

It always amazes me how powerful it is to hear that. Since spiritual pursuits are so personal in most regards, I find that I try to force myself to go thru the tough spots/spots of feeling on too much unfamiliar territory, on my own. And those 4 simple words turn down the volume on my anxiety almost instantly.
Go to Top of Page

pkj

USA
158 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2015 :  2:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi it happened w me as well. I will suggest to do just sit and don't do anything. Just be in awareness. And no asanas either . Just surrender and let go. Don't fear anything. Also instead of Asans do long walks that will be helpful. Most importantly just surrender and just be in awareness.

Blessings to you

PKJ
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2015 :  10:51:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your responses. So-hi, I appreciate your sentiment!

To answer a couple of questions:

Roboto, Ashtanga primary series and it takes about 90 minutes give or take.

Pkj, great idea and I have in fact tried that, its a go-to for me in tough times. However, in this instance it further aggravated the state, and turned up the volume, as beehive appropriately put it.

Its been a long while since I've had this kind of movement in the mind. Its almost like the subconscious is leaking out.

The worst part seems to be the dizziness and tightness in the throat. With prana rushing more freely from the asana practice, it feels like being trapped in a gyre of strong wind pretty much constantly. My focus, normally very good, is shot.

The goods news is, I stand on a strong foundation of silence built by the efforts of many. Its like a great rock, unmoving, even in the worst storm. Perhaps I'll get going on some insight meditation and see if that will help keep me on the rock.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2015 :  2:23:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

So weird. I hadn't seen this thread, but had a similar experience today. I went to a new asana class this morning and had about all the symptoms you mentioned afterwards plus sneezing. It lasted about five hours. I feel totally fine now.

I'm not planning on changing my meditation routine. If it happens again, I just won't take that particular class.
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2015 :  2:20:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Reporting back here:

No asanas for two days (sadface, my body/mind complex loves it), and I'm feeling much less edgy.

Seems to be the asanas that brought out that severe anxiety.

Good news is, I can now let it out with control. Bad news is, there's a fearful amount of anxiety down there.
Go to Top of Page

roboto212

USA
56 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2015 :  1:58:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Glad you are back to a comfortable energy flow. For me those longer asana sessions really are too much, usually. But I've found simple stretches to my feet, first stretching to left foot, while on the ground, and then the other foot, and then both feet.. Kinda forward bends...seems to help balance overload.. I'll do them before falling asleep and it allows me to almost pass out immediately like a child... Not saying this may be the same for you...but worth a try

Edited by - roboto212 on Sep 20 2015 8:23:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2015 :  4:32:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by roboto212

Glad you are back to a comfortable energy flow. For me those longer asana sessions really are too much, usually. But I've found simple stretches to my feet, first stretching to left foot, while on the ground, and then the other foot, and then both feet.. Kinda forward bends...seems to help balance overload.. I'll do them before falling asleep and it allows me to almost pass out immediately like a child... Not saying this may be the same for you...

Good advice, roboto.

I've had issues with too much asana practice in the past, and it was the nature of the symptoms that took me by surprise when I started that practice up again.

I need to find a modified version of the series that won't push me over the edge. I really like what ashtanga offers up in terms of an intense heating practice that improves concentration. Unfortunately, I'm extremely pitta and pitta + pitta isn't likely to turn out so well. Perhaps I should turn towards an Iyengar approach.

Yin style yogasanas don't really do it for me. If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear. Thanks for your help.
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
224 Posts

Posted - May 08 2020 :  09:40:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi tonightsthenight,

don't know if you're still active in the forum, but it would be great to know which asana approach you took afterwards.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000