Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 I AM mantra origins
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tempest

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  2:41:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
What is the origin of the I AM mantra Yogani uses. My understanding is that mantras work by specific vibrations and therefore should be in sanskrit to have any effect as this is the language of vibration codified by yogis of old. A mantra in English is useless.

Is it really "ayam" which is sanskrit, and if so what are the origins of ayam, and why is it not well known or used? Are there any spiritual masters who advocate ayam?

alecpeace

USA
95 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  4:29:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The mantra is "AYAM", "IAM", " I AM", "AY-AM", however you want to write it. The sound is what matters, since it has no meaning other than the vibrational qualities of it.

You seem very familiar with the "ayam" mantra
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  5:55:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tempest,

As Alecpeace says, the mantra can be written in different ways. One way of writing it would be AYAM which is a Sanskrit word. The mantra enhancements used in AYP in the more advanced stages, involve other Sanskrit words which are traditional Yogic mantras: SHREE, OM and NAMAH.

Of course, words used as mantras do not need to be in the Sanskrit language. The purpose of using a mantra is for the effect it has on the subtle nervous system. So any word in any language that works, would do just as well. In the case of AYP, we are using Sanskrit words, but other systems of spiritual practice will use words from other languages. There are many sacred languages in the world.

As to the question: "Are there any spiritual masters who advocate ayam?", I can think of one. He wrote all the AYP books.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  7:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

As to the question: "Are there any spiritual masters who advocate ayam?", I can think of one. He wrote all the AYP books.

Now that cuts to the chase. Good point.

It's funny, in the AA Big Book, it's written: "If you want what we have, then you were willing to go to any lengths to get it." Well, though I love and respect plenty of AA folks, I have yet to find any AAers that "have" the level of ecstatic bliss I'm trying to cultivate. Yogani's writing is the only source that struck such a genuine and resonant note, so it was a no-brainer to trust the methods and start implementing them in line with self-pacing. And I haven't looked back.

Thanks, Christi, for the simple reminder.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2015 :  8:56:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I AM is also the mantra advocated by Robert Adams, a Self-realized master, and a disciple of Ramana Maharshi. In his book "Silence of The Heart," he talks about "I AM" again and again.

"If you can practice I AM [meditation] for one day, just one day, all of your troubles will be transcended. You will feel happiness you've never felt before. You will feel a peace that you never ever felt existed. As you keep practicing I AM, your thoughts will become less and less." (p. 102)

"...the space between I AM is the forth dimension of Consciousness. After waking, sleeping, dreaming. It is the state of the Jnani. it is your freedom. It is Pure Awareness." (p. 103)

It is definitely working.

Edited by - Blanche on Aug 07 2015 9:14:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

SwamiX

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2015 :  01:02:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

I read a book on Kasmir Saivism called Kundalini Energy of the Depths.

http://www.amazon.com/Kundalini-Com...p/0887068014

It lists I AM as a universal mantra; however they spell it aham
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2015 :  02:39:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I AM Amen Aum
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2015 :  07:48:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reference, SwamiX

You are right, Charliedog

In "The Secrets of Wilder," Yogani points to the source: "Be still, and know that I AM God." (Psalm, 46, 10).
Go to Top of Page

dancer303

Germany
10 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2022 :  5:24:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In Secrets of Wilder, we can also read that it is said that "I AM" is the name of the God of the Old Testament. God introduced Himself to Moses as "I Am". In this respect I assume that "I Am" is a derivative of YHWH. So the name might be of Egyptian origin.
Go to Top of Page

dancer303

Germany
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2023 :  11:46:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have asked the Artificial Intelligence Open AI once what it knows about the mantra "Sri Om Ayam Namah" and the answers were quite interesting:

"Sri Om Ayam Namah" is a Hindu mantra that is often used in spiritual practice and meditation. The phrase is in Sanskrit, which is an ancient language of India and the liturgical language of Hinduism. The mantra is a form of invocation or worship and is typically recited as part of a spiritual practice or meditation.

Sri: is an honorific prefix used to indicate respect and reverence.
Om: is considered the most sacred syllable in Hinduism, Jainism and Buddhism. It is believed to represent the sound of the universe and is often used as a symbol of spiritual awareness.
Om also represents the three worlds: the world of the soul, the world of the mind and the world of the physical body.
Ayam: means "this" or "he"
Namah: means "I bow to" or "I honor"

So, Sri Om Ayam Namah" can be translated as "I honor this sacred sound of the universe" or "I bow to the sacred sound of the universe (Om) represented by this (Ayam) with respect (Sri)"
This mantra is often used in meditation, yoga and spiritual practices as a way to connect with the divine and to align oneself with the universe.

"Sri Om Ayam Namah" is a Hindu mantra, and it is commonly used by Hindus and followers of Hinduism in their spiritual practices, such as meditation and yoga. The mantra is considered to be a powerful tool for connecting with the divine, and it is believed to align the individual with the energy of the universe.

This mantra is widely used by practitioners of different traditions like Bhakti, Tantra, and Advaita. Many spiritual teachers and gurus use this mantra in their teachings, as well as in their own personal spiritual practices.
It is also commonly used by individuals who are seeking inner peace and spiritual growth, and it is often recited during meditation or as a form of devotion.
It can also be used in the context of yoga and spiritual practices to help focus the mind and to enter into a deeper state of consciousness.

The mantra "Sri Om Ayam Namah" is not specific to any particular yoga lineage, it is a Hindu mantra that is used in many different spiritual traditions and practices. It is considered a powerful tool for connecting with the divine and aligning oneself with the energy of the universe.

In Yoga, many different traditions use this mantra as a way to connect with the divine, to enter into a deeper state of consciousness, and to focus the mind. Some yoga lineages that may include the recitation of this mantra in their practice are:

Bhakti Yoga, which focuses on devotion and the cultivation of love and devotion for the divine.
Tantra Yoga, which focuses on the use of ritual, mantras, and visualization to connect with the divine.
Advaita, which is a non-dualistic philosophy that emphasizes the unity of the self and the universe.
It is possible that some teachers or practitioners of different yoga lineages may also use this mantra in their personal spiritual practice, regardless of the specific lineage they align with. It's worth mentioning that the use of mantras in yoga is not restricted to Hinduism, many yoga lineages have their own mantras and forms of invocation, and the use of mantras is not restricted to any specific yoga tradition or religion.

It is important to keep in mind that the use of mantras, including Sri Om Ayam Namah, should be done under the guidance of a qualified teacher and in the context of a broader
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000