Yoga, Career and Money
 Yoga Teachers - Liability Insurance?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - May 14 2014 :  1:57:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I would like to find out from my yoga teaching colleagues what sort, if any, yoga teacher liability insurance you carry. Presently, my teaching has been confined to the "Y" which holds enough liability to sink a battleship - so personal liability insurance has not been necessary. Lately, I have been asked to teach at different venues - one being a campground, one being in a municipal park, the other privately in clients' homes. So I am revisiting the insurance dilemma. I know people who teach without insurance and it sort of gives me a bad vibe. Yoga practitioners should be above it but we have become such a litigious society it seems. I have been told that having all people sign a liability waiver is just a first line defence - I have had others tell me that if you are not charging $$$ you are basically a volunteer and don't require insurance. I really don't want to take chances, but then I am not anticipating making enough $$$ from classes to cover the cost of insurance which would be $250 Cdn./year for $2 million coverage. Thoughts or suggestions? Many thanks, namaste.

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - May 15 2014 :  08:59:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Personal decision. Its unlikely you'll be sued. Also unlikely insurance will end up covering everything if you are. Waivers are just pieces of paper. I carry insurance and yes its expensive.
Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - May 15 2014 :  3:53:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the thought-provoking response. Much appreciated. I think it is probably a necessary investment and will free me up to say 'yes' to opportunities that may arise. Thanks for helping me decide. Namaste.
Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2015 :  11:39:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just an update - the insurance was the best $250 I ever spent, has opened up venues as well as that peace of mind. I still always caution students that 'they are responsible for their own bodies'. I pray to never have to use it. Thanks all.
Go to Top of Page

technoyogi

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2015 :  12:50:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit technoyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am curious, is this more to protect from lawsuits based on physical injury that might happen, or something else?
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2015 :  1:07:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not an expert on this, but I'm guessing it should protect yoga teachers in case of claims of any adverse effects on students' health. If meditation is part of the yoga course, I suspect mental health could come into question as well?!
Go to Top of Page

technoyogi

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2015 :  12:07:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit technoyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking of teaching a course on how to have lucid dreams and out of body experiences here in Vancouver, wonder if I need insurance for that...
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  05:52:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I previously had yoga teacher liability insurance through Philadelpha Insurance via Yoga Journal. I let it lapse as I'd stopped teaching yoga due to our having moved into the yoga studio w/ all our animals. I have since decided to resume teaching here, thx to a friend's very charitable donation of a Bissell all-in-one floor cleaner which will make my life easier. Because I am also a professional "psychic" and spiritual advisor, as well as holistic wellness counselor, I was looking for liability insurance to cover those aspects of my practice as well. I found IICT, International Institute for Complementary Therapists, which offers insurance that covers over 100 different "alternative" modalities including yoga, pilates, dreamwork, spiritual counseling, all kinds of metaphysical stuff, at very reasonable rates! This may interest you, BlueRaincoat and technoyogi. My premium for liability covering all aspects of my work is around $30/month, whereas yoga alone was about $16/month with the previous company. So this is a great deal especially if you teach more than asana.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2017 :  8:32:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a yoga teacher insurance through Yoga Journal (Philadelphia Insurance). The insurance is $75/year, but it comes with the journal subscription (which I enjoy), and other fees, for a total of $190. If you teach a lot, the insurance goes up to $250.

I also ask for signed wavers from people taking my yoga course at a community setting. Yoga studios usually have their own insurance, but it is good for a teacher to have insurance.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000