Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Are Amaroli claims really true?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

catrynn

Ireland
68 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2013 :  2:10:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am a great believer in composting where what appears to be rubbish is returned to the earth and changed to be life-giving. In the wisdom of Nature, most things can be composted. So it makes perfect sense to me that in urine, Nature may have given us the greatest recycling ever.

Oh my, can we ignore this? I hear people cry

This is a quote from an article 'Drink to your health - Urine Therapy' by Blake Mor: (Can't quite make out how to make this a 'quote mode')

'Contrary to what we learn in biology, urine isn't a dirty byproduct of intestinal work. Instead, it's a highly usable, sterile fluid that comes from the kidneys. The main function of the kidneys is to balance and filter the blood. Urine, the kidneys' byproduct, is made from life-sustaining ingredients, like vitamins, minerals, proteins, enzymes, hormones, antibodies, and amino acids - estimated to be thousands of compounds in all. For example, urine, also the primary component of amniotic fluid, contains DHEA (the wonder steroid heralded with antiaging and anticancer properties), allantoin (added to creams and ointments to promote wound healing), factor S (used to naturally induce sleep), gastric secretary depressants (which combat ulcer growth), urokinase (an enzyme known to dissolve blood clots), and, of course, urea (a key constituent in many antibacterial substances). Some scientists even suggest that uric acid, the most touted property of urine, may be an instrumental ingredient that allows humans to live longer than most other mammals'

Ah now most people would not believe that

I know that the health benefits are not AYP's primary reason for practicing Amaroli. I knew nothing about it and happened to buy Yogani's 'Diet Shatkarmas and Amaroli' because I was buying another book and this was cheaper than usual. When I picked it up the chapter on Amaroli practically jumped out of the page at me, resonating so much with me that I decided I would try it. I found the first few days the most difficult but then settled down and have practiced it for about six weeks.

I did have a bumpy two or three weeks initially in that I felt more emotional and just not myself. When that calmed down I began to realize that little niggling health problems were getting sorted. I feel that indeed, as Yogani said, the spaces that I didn't know I had, are being filled up into something stronger. I have to my surprise, started to sit cross-legged again. I tried for ages and it was so dreadful as my knees hurt, that I stopped. Now it is not so difficult at all.

If this simple practice is contributing to all this in me, it seems to me that the concept of composting, of creating the right healing medicine by my body for my body, is quite miraculous. I remember reading that for the plants in my garden I could make a tea from putting the weeds in my garden into water for two weeks. It was the weeds from my garden and not my neighbour's weeds, as mine were most beneficial to my plants and would give what was needed. It seems to me that this is the Nature's wonderful bounty creating health from what is about to be discarded.

I am going on my limited experience here. At this moment in time for me, the practice of Amaroli is quite wonderful. If this is all 'true' why are we so silent about it?

Or are we all a bit deluded and getting 'soft in the head' from drinking our own urine?

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2013 :  4:15:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I admire your brave stand Catrynn.

All the forum members are sort of "speaking out" about the benefits of yoga practices and amaroli in particular just by being members.

Today is the exact 11 month anniversary of me reading Yogani's urine imbibing advice and my first drink. But I gotta admit I haven't breathed a word of my practice to anyone other than forum members.
Go to Top of Page

chinmayo

Finland
67 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2013 :  4:42:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have to say that this amaroli practise is probably the only practise mentioned here that feels very.. uninviting to do! Admitting to friends or family that I'm actually drinking pee daily is quite low on my bucket list haha

I'm interested in hearing your experiences, maybe you'll convince me to try : -)

Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2013 :  6:38:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some great links on the subject.

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....erms=amaroli
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....erms=amaroli
Go to Top of Page

catrynn

Ireland
68 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2013 :  09:51:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh I am not so brave at all BillinL.A! Only one other person knows I do amaroli and that is not my husband.. I quite understand where you are chinmayo. There is the most terrific horror at drinking urine as we consider it so 'dirty'. I suppose it is just that, as a gardener, I work with soil and compost that are also considered 'dirty'. One of my students refused to touch any compost because of the germs in it - it was sterile- so I gave her plastic gloves.

I think we need the mental equivalent of 'plastic gloves' when even thinking about urine, which is actually sterile as well. Once you can get your head around our social ideas of 'dirt' and 'uncleanliness' and think instead of the benefits then it is easier to do. If it can be seen as Nature's gift to each body to provide healing as well as spiritual strength, then there is nothing dirty except perhaps our ignorance.

But this is only my theory. I want to know if this could be true. So I still ask the question, are all the claims for amaroli true? What sources are there to back it up or is it just a case of no one really looking into it as there is no money to be made out of it?

And thank you jonesboy. I did look those up and found them very interesting.

Edited by - catrynn on Nov 27 2013 10:09:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2013 :  11:51:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Catrynn maybe the definitive evidence of amaroli's benefits are the pharmaceutical corporations attempts to copy its effects so they can charge for it.
Go to Top of Page

catrynn

Ireland
68 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2013 :  12:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Never thought of that one BillinL.A. Thanks. Tell me more about their copying the effects of amaroli as I know nothing about that
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2013 :  12:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The following quote is from the link at the bottom:

Many medical researchers, unlike most of us, know that far from being a dirty body-waste, fresh, normal urine is actually sterile and is an extraordinary combination of some of the most vital and medically important substances known to man. Now this fact may be unknown to the vast majority of the public today, it is nothing new to modern medicine.

To us, the public, urine seems like an undesirable waste product of the body, but to the medical research community and the drug industry it's been considered to be liquid gold. Don't believe it? Read this:

"Utica, Michigan - Realising it is flushing potential profits down the drain, an enterprising young company has come up with a way to trap medically powerful proteins from urine. Enzymes of America has designed a special filter that collects important urine proteins, and these filters have been installed in all of the men's urinals in the 10,000 portable outhouses owned by the Porta-John company, a subsidiary of Enzymes of America.

"Urine is known to contain minute amounts of proteins made by the body, including medically important ones such as growth hormone and insulin. There is a $500-million-a-year market for these kinds of urine ingredients.

"This summer, Enzymes of America plans to market its first major urine product called urokinase, an enzyme that dissolves blood clots and is used to treat victims of heart attacks. The company has contracts to supply the urine enzyme to Sandoz, Merrell Dow and other major pharmaceutical companies. Ironically, this enterprise evolved from Porta-John's attempt to get rid of urine proteins-a major source of odour in portable toilets.

"When the president of Porta-John began consulting with scientists about a urine filtration system, one told him he was sitting on a gold mine.

"The idea of recycling urine is not new, however. 'We thought about this,' says 26 Whitcome of Amgen, a Los Angeles biotechnology firm, 'but realised we'd need thousands and thousands of litres of urine.'

"Porta-John and Enzymes of America solved that problem. The 14 million gallons flowing annually into Porta-John's privies contain about four-and-a-half pounds of urokinase alone. That's enough to unclog 260,000 coronary arteries."
("Now Urine Business", Hippocrates magazine, May/June 1988)

But urokinase isn't the only drug derived from urine that, unknown to us, has been a financial boon to the pharmaceutical industry.

In August of 1993, Forbes magazine printed an article about Fabio Bertarelli who owns the world's largest fertility drug-producing company, the Ares-Serono Group, based in Geneva, whose most important product is the drug Pergonal which increases the chances of conception. Guess what Pergonal is made from?

"To make Pergonal, Ares-Serono collects urine samples from 110,000 postmenopausal women volunteers in Italy, Spain, Brazil and Argentina. From 26 collection centres, the urine is sent to Rome where Ares-Serono technicians then isolate the ovulation-enhancing hormone." (N. Munk, "The Child is the Father of the Man", Forbes Magazine, 16 August 1993)

Ares-Serono earned a reported $855 million in sales in 1992, and people pay up to $1,400 per month for this urine extract.

http://www.whale.to/a/urine_therapy.html

Go to Top of Page

catrynn

Ireland
68 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2013 :  10:15:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you BillinL.A. Your link was fascinating reading and seems to be very well researched. So the answer to my question is Yes! The claims for Amaroli are true It is our own previous mental convictions about urine that need to be radically changed. I find now that I have no difficulty whatsoever with the practice. I started slowly and built up gently and have had no ill effects whatsoever. Yogani say it is the easiest practice in AYP once we have got our mind around it. Thank goodness I am a firm believer in Nature's composting as it all makes complete sense when looked at in this light. And my spiritual practices are strengthened by it as are those nebulous aches and pains in my body. There is no excuse not to build it in to our practices with gratitude - our free personally tailored medicine! Amazing
Go to Top of Page

Chaz

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2013 :  1:57:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I bit the bullet today and tried it. very strange. Easily one of the boldest things I've done so far in this lifetime lol. After reading this thread and a few more on Amaroli I finally found within me a slight urge in favor of giving it a trial. Hopefully what they say rings true for me and I find much benefit in the practice.
Go to Top of Page

catrynn

Ireland
68 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2013 :  06:15:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Chaz that is so adventurous of you! Fantastic! Just keep it very little and increase gently. After the first few days the taste is ok. Apparently the urine is most potent on an empty stomach and after around 2 am. As I sometimes wake at night for the toilet, usually after 4, I do the amaroli then and don't repeat it. I just keep my mouth firmly shut if I have to and don't take anything for 15 mins. It does make my body feel stronger for meditation and in general - it feels like being well-grounded. But I have yet to 'come out' about it
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2013 :  09:10:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Way to go Chaz!!!
Go to Top of Page

chinmayo

Finland
67 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2013 :  8:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm.. I could replace my morning coffee with amaroli! I wouldn't even consider trying amaroli after drinkin coffee so it would be a good spot to cut the coffee consumption also.
Go to Top of Page

catrynn

Ireland
68 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2013 :  11:35:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I do find with doing amaroli in the early morning that it does have a energizing effect which is not exactly what I want at 4am! So it might be a very good way of replacing coffee. Mind you, I still drink tea after my morning meditation...
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2013 :  5:33:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks catrynn for the entertaining thread.

A group of us who were practicing AYP together in Stillorgan a few years ago made a secret pact one evening in the Millhouse pub to try amoroli during the week. We still talk about the excitement and coming back the following week and all reporting the gory details, great fun.

Will start it again prompted by your thread, thanks
Go to Top of Page

chinmayo

Finland
67 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2013 :  9:48:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, so I woke up today for some reason at 3 am after going to sleep early. I made my AYP routine with some suriya namaskars and yoga poses before the sitting. After the sitting I decided to try the amaroli.

The drinking itself wasn't so weird, but the feeling after it was quite surprising. I felt something like I had done something I am no supposed to do as if a broke a taboo of a kinf, and my stomach reacted with a slight feeling of nausea. That feeling passed quite quickly. Let's see!

I guess, like Bear Grylls I'm one of the pee drinkers now.
Go to Top of Page

catrynn

Ireland
68 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  08:51:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Sparkle. Glad to know I am not the only mad one in Ireland and chinmayo, we are not too far away from you as the crow flies so keep going. It's the games our minds play with us especially when we consider something taboo... I just read about all those germs stalking us from everywhere and thought thank goodness that Nature has given us our own medicine to keep healthy and tune our spiritual vibes.. at least that is what Yogani tells us and who better to do so?
Mind you he has been quiet about it lately...
Go to Top of Page

catrynn

Ireland
68 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  11:00:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just discovered this description from the hindu sutras about amaroli.

http://www.hps-online.com/hindiasutra.htm

What more can we add?
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  1:36:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

have updated the first thread jonesboy linked to :)

Peace
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2013 :  04:36:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I said it before. ...it is a great practice. ..very poweful too
Go to Top of Page

catrynn

Ireland
68 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2013 :  09:20:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Holy for updating that for us. And thank you maheswari for your comment. I really appreciate it when practioners who are finding sucess with a practice do actually share this. Sometimes those of us who are at the beginning of our AYP journey wonder if some of it is 'for real'!
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2013 :  8:06:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi catrynn,

thanks for link aswell, Yogani had also linked to the parts of the damar tantra which are related to amaroli. Back then I have looked for the complete verses of the damar tantra writings, but could not find anything.. I'm sure by reading all one could grasp more hints and details. All in its time :)

Peace and happy morning drinks :P
Go to Top of Page

Chaz

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2013 :  06:36:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Been on and off with it since I last posted, filling the very bottom of a water bottle and then diluting it with water. Haven't completely acquired the taste for it yet and oddly after doing it there were several occasions where I was eating and the taste came back to visit. Weird.

I feel like absolute sh!t this morning with a 101 fever. My body aches and my throat hurts like hell. I woke up feeling very uncomfortable so the first thing I did was go to the toilet and drank up. Was wondering how important is my diet to the benefits of amaroli? And in this situation will it help me to recover more quickly? What are some guidelines for using Amaroli when you're coming down with something and how effective can it be?
Go to Top of Page

catrynn

Ireland
68 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2013 :  08:20:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chaz! I don't have much experience with Amaroli yet. I think like all the practices we have to take them very slowly. In the first week I took a tiny bit and then increased by a quarter of a glass each week. I did find that ther were obviously things happening as I didn't quite feel myself for a few weeks. I took this to be physical clearing and it was never bad or even beyond a feeling of just not being quite right. I never got the reaction you did. I think if I had I would have backed off and started very slowly again when I was better. I think it is the same with all the practices.

I would also wonder in the case of amaroli, what happens when we push ourselves to do it. If for years we have regarded urine as dirty and made many jokes about piss and piss pots, when we finally do it, there is the uggh reaction we get from breaking a supposed taboo. We could have very strong physical reactions. Personally as I deal with composting of everything in my garden, this was not so difficult to put my head around now but I used to have an extreme reaction myself.

Yes, diet possibly has a lot to do with it but I trust my body's innate wisdom to still provide my personal medicine as long as I don't go overboard with it. Natural healing, which happens with amaroli, is much slower than modern medicines but I personally find it more effective in the long run. So if you are ill, just back off the practice until that healing crisis is over and return very gently. But I am new to this so hopefully others will have more advice

Edited by - catrynn on Dec 13 2013 08:30:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Orahmax

India
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2014 :  01:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Chaz

Been on and off with it since I last posted, filling the very bottom of a water bottle and then diluting it with water. Haven't completely acquired the taste for it yet and oddly after doing it there were several occasions where I was eating and the taste came back to visit. Weird.

I feel like absolute sh!t this morning with a 101 fever. My body aches and my throat hurts like hell. I woke up feeling very uncomfortable so the first thing I did was go to the toilet and drank up. Was wondering how important is my diet to the benefits of amaroli? And in this situation will it help me to recover more quickly? What are some guidelines for using Amaroli when you're coming down with something and how effective can it be?

Urine therapy has a detoxifying effect on our body. When the body is in the process of removing toxins we might feel fever and uneasiness but that's not a bad sign.

Your body is just getting a Liquid Gold potent which will get you rid of all the diseases and for that toxins must be removed.

One important thing is that when you don't feel good due to this detoxification just reduce the amount of urine intake so that less toxins are removed at one time. Once this phase passes you can increase the amount gradually.
Go to Top of Page

Apkallu

France
108 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  10:48:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by catrynn

Thank you BillinL.A. Your link was fascinating reading and seems to be very well researched. So the answer to my question is Yes! The claims for Amaroli are true

As said by J. W. Armstrong in "The Water of Life" :
quote:
One ounce of facts is worth many pounds of theories.

So, just give it a try :=)

One other notable fact about Armstrong is that he understood the need to massage with urine. He insists that cures were faster and more effective in those who bathed, massaged, rubbed, and soaked themselves with urine. He got this idea, he says, on his first fast on urine and water, when this Biblical verse came into his mind: "when thou fastest, anoint thy head and wash thy face." (Matthew 6:17). He also points out the other Biblical verse (in Proverbs 5) that originally led him to drinking his urine: "Drink water from thy own cistern." Surprisingly, he appears to have missed the most important verse, from John 7:38: "Rivers of living water shall flow from your bellies."

In the Bible, Jesus said "If you believe in me, you will never thirst." and also "Rivers of living water shall flow from your bellies." (John 7:38) John Armstrong referred to urine-drinking as his "penance," and as "penance" for others, and continued to drink his own urine for the rest of his life, and kept in good health. He himself claimed to drink (or try to drink) "every drop" of his own urine, and recommended this to many of his patients, many of whom fasted for weeks at a time, drinking all of their own urine. However, other urine therapists, and general folklore on the subject, suggests that it's best to drink only the middle stream, and morning urine is best.

As said in another post, I also think that the middle stream story is voluntarily misleading.
Do no think it is necessary to develop...

Proverbs 5-15
15. Drink water from your own cistern And fresh water from your own well.
16. Should your springs be dispersed abroad, Streams of water in the streets?…

Song of Solomon 4:12
You are a garden locked up, my sister, my bride; you are a spring enclosed, a sealed fountain.

Isaiah 36:16
"Do not listen to Hezekiah. This is what the king of Assyria says: Make peace with me and come out to me. Then each of you will eat fruit from your own vine and fig tree and drink water from your own cistern

For many years, I have thought about the Biblical story of the Garden of Eden, and the original sin - - eating fruit from from the "tree of knowledge of good and evil," which leads to death; whereas eating the fruit of the "tree of life," would lead to eternal life. The Bible states that the two trees were both in the "midst" of the garden. But it is a mystery how two different trees could stand in the "midst" of the garden, since "midst" is a contraction of "middle-est" (or "most middle"). Only one tree could stand in the "most middle." My own theory, for what it's worth, is that the Garden of Eden is the human body, and that the two trees (in the "most middle") are the spine (which is the tree of knowledge of good and evil), and the penis (the tree of life). Male gender used, since man and woman were originally created as one. Also note that "s-p-i-n-e" and "p-e-n-i-s" are made up of the same letters, and their fruits (sperm cells and brain cells), are very similar, chemically and morphologically. For many years I thought that eating from the tree of life, meant reabsorbing your own seed, but then I heard a voice in my head suggest that urine, too, is also fruit from the tree of life. The Shivambu Kalpa Vidhi, like the Bible, suggests that if you ingest this "fruit" (from the tree of life), you may live forever.

http://www.fruitnut.net/HTML/201_Article_Urine.htm
http://www.robkalmeijer.nl/medisch/...i/hurine.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000