Yoga, Career and Money
 Corporate BS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FakeYogi

India
100 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2016 :  1:54:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
So ok despite doing Yoga and all we go to office and do the nice paying job, either because it is really required to put food on the table, or just out of conditioning and family pressures. Not out of ambition because that doesn't fit with Yoga. But time to time this lack of ambition comes to bite us because everyone else is ambitious and one looks for ambition and self-motivated drive when hiring for a job or during promotions. So even us unambitious fellows have to sell ourselves from time to time faking an interest and ambition in work, otherwise we may be shown the door one day. Not everyone has the luxury of flatlining without trying to grow in career and without being shown the door. So how do you deal with this sh!t ?
If my family understood I would've retired. I don't see the point of working, it only makes the day of death more dreadful because I'm spending time on the wrong problems.

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2016 :  4:20:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi FakeYogi,

What seems to work for me is to approach all of life like it is a part of your yoga practice. Work, family, hobbies, daily interactions and activities, love-making, yoga practice, every single thing you do is loaded with potential to increase self-awareness (and more). What I've found in taking this approach is that the things you resist the hardest (like work for example) are the things that hold the most opportunity for dramatic growth. For me, what I resist the most is doing nothing. It's very hard for me to slow down and take my time with things. I'm so excited about everything that I just want to do it all NOW! For you, it sounds like going to work is what you resist the hardest. Maybe shifting your approach so that you are looking at going to work like it is a part of your yoga practice will have you excited to go to the office instead of dreading it?

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Mar 30 2016 4:44:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

FakeYogi

India
100 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2016 :  11:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Work, family, hobbies, daily interactions and activities, love-making, yoga practice, every single thing you do is loaded with potential to increase self-awareness (and more).

Yoga is the cessation of disturbance of the mind. You can many other things without disturbing the mind, even work itself, but not ambition and self-drive required for growth at work. Most jobs require this unless it is a receptionist job, etc. Many Yoga practitioners will claim that work and Yoga can co-exist but you will see the absurdity of it if you do a mind experiment and try to apply it in sequence for example like Engineer, Senior Engineer, Super senior Engineer, Director, Vice President, CEO.

Edited by - FakeYogi on Mar 30 2016 11:17:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dennis

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2016 :  01:33:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are good at what you do and do it well, you will be recognized for that and ambition won't be required. If you have an upbeat attitude due to blissful Yoga practices, that helps, too. The self-drive can be replaced by a joy of doing. The only ambition or desire is to do it better and after doing better, it becomes habit and desire is no longer necessary. You can do excellent work in a desireless state.

Many top level jobs are about motivating and caring about people. Being in charge of others gives an opportunity to spread the love and energy to those around you.

One of the main functions of Yoga is to help others and the workplace can be an opportunity to do this.

Edited by - Dennis on Mar 31 2016 03:27:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

FakeYogi

India
100 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2016 :  06:12:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dennis, I think you are right. It is about developing the skill for the sort of working you mention.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2016 :  07:21:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Fakeyogi - great advice and explanation from the others. At the beginning of yoga practices, one seeks "cessation of mind activity" during the twice daily meditation sittings but after years of yoga one has sufficient inner silence /inner space that is not disturbed by activity. So work (and everything else) is a source of joy, an endless flow of stillness in action. Then you just do and let go - no struggling, no resistance, no ambitions.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2016 :  08:09:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi FakeYogi,

Good advice from everyone. What is it that you would like to do? This may be the opportunity to start your own business (small scale). In this day and age, there are many work from home jobs. Do your practices and release in silence what you envision for yourself and work towards it.This is what worked here and now I work for myself.

Like Dennis said do your best and don't worry about the rest. Things will work out. And, yes everything that you do is Yoga. It takes time to evolve, but be sure to enjoy the journey. The journey starts becoming the best part after a certain point.

Sunyata

Edited by - sunyata on Mar 31 2016 08:14:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2016 :  9:07:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ummm... I believe Yogani was an engineer before he retired. I just want to add onto some other posts. Before you drop your resistance to your job, look to see how it hits you. What's your judgements about the environment and people around you and judgements about family life. Not certain you have to do anything about them(judgements). If you do change jobs, you might see this stuff come back up again. It'll be familiar and easier to deal with if it does.

Edited by - lalow33 on Mar 31 2016 9:09:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2016 :  03:42:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
great post Carson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000