Yoga, Career and Money
 Working in the Forest
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

greymatter

USA
28 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2015 :  5:16:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey all,

Shortly after beginning yoga practices last year, I switched my area of study from Math to Forestry. As a result of changing my focus to align with my inner feelings, thoughts and attitude, progress in school has taken care of itself. I've begun to see how lifes dramas correspond to changes in my inner world. There is a sense of flow which justifies each situation as it occurs.

This summer a friend informed me about an opening with the Forest Service working at an information kiosk. I ended up working as a back country ranger backpacking and camping full time. My job is to walk many miles through the wilderness carrying a heavy pack. I assess the structure integrity of trails and identify hazards. I educate the public about wilderness regulations and practices. I lead volunteers to put up signs, cut logs and build toilets.

Sometimes when I'm alone in the wilderness I feel an enhanced connection with the land. My mind, body and the land operate as a single system. I move fast and feel light.

The more time I spend in the forest, the more I'm tempted to go off trail and climb dangerous peeks to explore hidden lakes. I feel a spiritual affinity for primitive, secluded environments. I feel protected, like my spiritual practices will protect me from injury and death. But its an addiction to flow. Its seeking spiritual highs while putting myself at risk. Yet I'm open to both and have faith in myself to be able to accomplish risky, yet extraordinary feats.

Does anyone have experience in the wilderness? Is it true that elementals live there? Why do I feel mountain madness?

When I look at the forest, I see in my vision a reflection of myself. The world of nature is invisible to me except what holds my attention.

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2015 :  8:11:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Sometimes when I'm alone in the wilderness I feel an enhanced connection with the land. My mind, body and the land operate as a single system. I move fast and feel light.

The more time I spend in the forest, the more I'm tempted to go off trail and climb dangerous peeks to explore hidden lakes. I feel a spiritual affinity for primitive, secluded environments. I feel protected, like my spiritual practices will protect me from injury and death. But its an addiction to flow. Its seeking spiritual highs while putting myself at risk. Yet I'm open to both and have faith in myself to be able to accomplish risky, yet extraordinary feats.

Does anyone have experience in the wilderness? Is it true that elementals live there? Why do I feel mountain madness?

When I look at the forest, I see in my vision a reflection of myself. The world of nature is invisible to me except what holds my attention.

Elemental: of relating to, or resembling, a great force of nature: "the rains came in elemental violence". This could explain the mountain madness . I love that you see the forest as a reflection, on more levels than one. I have hiked quite a bit in my younger years and relived moving fast and light along with your telling. Yoga is making the fabric so thin, it could tear in a moments notice.

You belong there, Greymatter, thanks for sharing. But be mindful, you may be invisible, but you are not invincible
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  02:31:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just envy you for your job I pay money every week and take long drives just to do what you're doing... Sometimes alone especially on long hikes... I was raise and lived as a hunter in the woods when I was young... I've done a lot of mountain climbing and been to many virgin woods where rarely a man's foot steps... All I can say is that I recommend it... But there has been a couple of times where having company would've been a good idea... Especially if you are stuck in the middle of a mountain and there's no way but up.... Best times when it's spring or when it's snowy... Climbing a good mountain and visiting lakes and whaterfalls is a great sight. During the summer best to walk near river pathes and valleys... But I think I should hear some advise from you since his is your area of study. Go wild as much as possible

Love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  07:27:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like a sweet job. Your inclination for adventure reminds me of Yogani's novel The Secrets of Wilder, in which the main character dives into some big waves to do some risky body surfing. I highly recommend that book.

I share your affinity for wilderness. It's incredibly grounding and spectacular. Nothing like Mother Nature. In my ongoing blog for AYP for Recovery, I definitely include lots of content about the strong relationship between nature and spirituality.

Keep writing about your adventures, and please share with us if you come across any elementals.
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  08:05:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
working under gods sky wonderful
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  08:32:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Thank you for sharing greymatter,
Just yesterday I read this and reading your post it came in my mind.

When the blood in your veins returns to the sea
and the earth in your bones returns to the ground
perhaps then you will remember
that this land does not belong to you
it is you who belong to this land

Sometimes it is easy to forget that we are nature, need nature, have to take care for planet Earth.....

Edited by - Charliedog on Aug 05 2015 08:59:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

greymatter

USA
28 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  1:04:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey thanks all. Your posts are always inspiring. Thanks for your responses.

I would be writing more about my experiences but was waiting for something really spiritual to happen. Maybe an angel or enlightened person disguised as a as an animal would show up or something.

The job has been similar to previous jobs I've had. Mostly doing similar things and trying to deal with often unhappy co workers. There is something to be said about how to integrate a yoga/ flow attitude with the seemingly arbitrary requirements of having a boss or co workers. The way people structure their work lives in the US is not consistent with service through yoga. Its something I'm trying to adapt to and find compromise.

One of my co workers who I'd spent many days hiking and camping with is much older. He had an Alzheimer episode on our way out of the woods. He couldn't remember anything but could still feel with his heart and trusted me to guide him out. He ended his season after that. We spent hours talking about his life and spirituality so it was hard to see him face losing his mind. Told him to try meditation and gave him one of my magic rocks. I'm still in contact with him. Might be worth adding him to the samyama list.

Dealing with mental illnesses deserves its own thread.

My season as a ranger is over now. I really matured by it. It tested me in a lot of ways. I know I have a lot more progress to make spiritually.

Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1506 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  2:02:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  2:18:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
My season as a ranger is over now. I really matured by it. It tested me in a lot of ways. I know I have a lot more progress to make spiritually.

Don't we all! Forest ranger season may be done, but the spiritual ranger season is everlasting.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000