New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

trip1

USA
739 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  01:44:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit trip1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering what everyone is currently reading. I'm always open to learning about good books, and will be looking forward to your replies.

-Brett

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  03:47:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just finished 'Secrets of Wilder', and am switching between Spinal Breathing Pranayama and Easy Lessons for Ecstatic Living. All of them have been written by someone called Yogani, a Floridan yogi. . Recommend them all heartily.

My other dip-in with me is Asana, Pranayama, Mudra, Bandha by Swami Satyananda Saraswati.

I finished reading some book by Paulo Coelho a couple of months back, which I did enjoy, but alack! I remember not the book's name nor the protoganist.

Just chatting with you Brett, so you aren't alone, till the others come along and tell you about Katie, and other live wires to read. I wait with you.

Edited by - sadhak on Aug 02 2006 03:48:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  12:14:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This probably should be a list of spiritual readings, but I've burnt out on them, as well as self-help books. It gets tiresome after a while and I needed to come up for air. Do you like the writing of Saraswati, Sadhak? I've been wanting to read his book on Kundalini Tantra. Just finished Sophie's Choice by William Styron. I had no idea what a great writer he is. I got completely immersed in it, and was amazed that he was able to bring such wit to a dark and terrible event (the Holocaust). What about you, Brett? What r u reading, and what do you recommend?
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  12:43:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Highly recommend... 'The Heart of Understanding' by Thich Nhat Hanh.
It is a tiny book.. but really awesome...
Meg talked about it here

Currently reading 'Undefended Love' by Jett Psaris and Marlena Lyons.

Edited by - Shanti on Aug 02 2006 1:05:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  12:45:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
breath by breath by Larry Rosenberg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...nce&n=283155
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  12:51:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Highly recommend... 'The Heart of Understanding' by Thich Nhat Hanh.
Currently reading 'Undefended Love' by Jett Psaris and Marlena Lyons.

Undefended Love is awesome. A profound book which fits in nicely with our AYpractices. Do you agree, Shweta?
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  12:54:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I sincerely recommend skeptics and Yogis alike to read The Road to Reality by Roger Penrose. The best semi-popular book on science in recently years, obviously bet the well-known "The brief history of time" which bypass ALL real stuff.

Not really a spiritual book, though And expect to spend years on it!

Edited by - Alvin Chan on Aug 02 2006 12:56:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  12:56:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Meg ..
Both the above books were recommended by Meg by the way. Thanks Meg.

Another good one..
"Being Peace" by Thich Nhat Hanh.

Edited by - Shanti on Aug 02 2006 1:06:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  1:27:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A few not mentioned yet that I have read in the last couple of years and recommend:

"Loving What Is" Byron Katie
"The Power of Now" Eckhart Tolle
"The Four Agreements" Don Miguel Ruiz

Edited by - Anthem on Aug 02 2006 1:27:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  1:53:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Andrew you forgot one more of our favorites :-)
"What's Wrong with Right Now?" by Sailor Bob Adamson
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  4:05:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

I just finished a book on reading auras, and it was lame, lame lame. Am just starting to read Unto Thee I Grant, which is purportedly a book from the early-mid 1700's based on conversations between an English gentleman and the Grand Lama (now termed Dalai Lama), and this fellow's studies of texts found in the temples therein, and the Englishman's letters back to his sponsors in England. Am also slowly working through a book on understanding the Zohar, a book on healthy aging by Dr. Andrew Weil and for fun, am wrapping up a fictional series of books my daughter has revolving around wicca.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  6:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"How to Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food" by Mark Bittman. Hands down the best cooking book for a beginner that I've seen. It's awe inspiring. You can fake being a professional chef with this book.

Sorry, that's about the best book I have. I see no point in reading spiritual books anymore, because I don't get anything from them anymore. I don't mean to offend anyone in saying that. Spiritual books have gotten me this far.

It's like reading numerous auto manuals on your car. Some are great and have nice pictures. Some are boring. Some are very user friendly. Some are way too in depth. You REALLY want to fix your car so you read all of these things and get some knowledge...but after so much you have to actually get to the fixing. At that point, what use are auto manuals?

But! I do like the Dhammapada translated by Ananda Maitreya, with a forward by Thich Nhat Hanh. It's an all time favorite of mine for its clarity, beauty and simplicity. It's a great guidebook to life. I recommend it to EVERYONE.

-Scott
Go to Top of Page

trip1

USA
739 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  9:59:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit trip1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great replies and recommendations everyone. Thank you for taking the time to post.

I'm currently bouncing back and forth between:

The Upanishads (Easwaran Translation)
The Dawn Horse Testament of Heart-Master Da Free John
Grist For The Mill by Ram Dass

And in the car I'm listening to Teachings on Love, a collection of lectures by Thich Nhat Hanh.

On a side note, I recently finished a book called Miracle Of Love, which is a collection of stories about the life of Neem Karoli Baba (Guru of Ram Dass and Krishna Das amongst others). I had trouble putting it down the entire time, and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a beautiful and extremely fun book to read.

-Brett
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  11:29:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Someone purchased for me, as a gift, The World is Flat. by Thomas L. Friedman. I will start reading that at some point.

I like to read the Economist as well.

Edited by - Hunter on Aug 03 2006 12:30:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  12:11:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by meg

Do you like the writing of Saraswati, Sadhak? I've been wanting to read his book on Kundalini Tantra.

Whatever books I've read from the Bihar School stable, Meg, I've found very clear, practice oriented, and profound... That includes Saraswati of course. These are ususally not read and put down books. Like the AYP books you have them around and keeping dipping into from time to time. Haven't read Kundalini Tantra though. Tell me if you get down to it... I actually can't remember whether I read Sophie's choice!

But thanks to Trip, I've got the list I must pounce on when at a book store at hand. Shweta, Anthem... I gotcha yer list.

Scott, I know what you mean. I once took a sabbatical from all spiritual books. But when I came back I found they are good for that little nudge and push in your longing to get on the road and whizz off.

But yes, cook books are great to have once you're on the road. I can think of no worse plight than working up an appetite on the road and raw veggies piled up in the boot without a cook book to tell me what to do with 'em. I have six seven myself...can never remember what they are called. But just reading through them makes me feel like the best cook, and even inspires me to make a dish after a few days. Spiritual books are like cookbooks.
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  01:32:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Books by gopikrishna are good and give good and practical view on how kundalini awakens. They are available for free online.

http://www.gopikrishna.mystics.co.uk/

especially this book.. "Autobiography of a Spiritual Genius"

http://www.gopikrishna.mystics.co.u...0Krishna.pdf

Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  01:38:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Before you all lose interest in the subject of books.....Brett has given me permission to piggy back on his question with one of my own:

Do any of you remember reading a book which was transcendent on its own terms? That is, one which was transcendent in its pure form as a novel, short story, or essay, apart from its content? The very act of reading the book elevates you to a higher state of consciousness, and you know that the author had to be in touch with something transcendent to have pulled it off. IMO, this kind of book is what great writing is all about, as it offers a glimpse, rather than a caricature, of the sublime. I'm curious if anyone has recommendations for this.

(thanks, Brett!)
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  02:03:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Genuine Happiness: Meditation as the Path to Fulfillment alan wallace
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  12:30:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramhansa Yogananda

Most of you may have read it already..
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  10:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Meg, in response to what you posted:
I felt that way about a few books:

This House is On Fire as told by Sri Anandi Ma.

Sacred Science and Christ Consciousness by Norman Paulsen.

As Shweta mentioned, Autobiography of a Yogi.

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna.

And most surely, these publications by Yogani. Very strong.
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  02:55:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Not a spiritual book, but when I was a kid, I read Heidi, and it transported me alright. Never read it again, and don't even remember details of the story, but it moved me profoundly, and the memory of it still stirs me. Might be some association

The little Prince had an effect too.
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  3:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Energy medicine by Donna Eden
The Field by Lynne McTaggart
Go to Top of Page

trip1

USA
739 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2006 :  11:48:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit trip1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by megDo any of you remember reading a book which was transcendent on its own terms? That is, one which was transcendent in its pure form as a novel, short story, or essay, apart from its content? The very act of reading the book elevates you to a higher state of consciousness, and you know that the author had to be in touch with something transcendent to have pulled it off. IMO, this kind of book is what great writing is all about, as it offers a glimpse, rather than a caricature, of the sublime. I'm curious if anyone has recommendations for this.

Great question Meg. The standout book for me is definitely Autobiography of a Yogi. The amount of pure love within these pages is something I have yet to experience any other writing even come close to, and my life hasn't been the same since my first time reading it.

A few others which really did it for me are:
Be Here Now - Ram Dass
Autobiography of a Spiritually Incorrect Mystic - Osho
The Bhagavad Gita

-Brett

Edited by - trip1 on Aug 08 2006 03:07:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  12:11:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Meg,
Have you seen this website? This gives calibrations for different types of media like music, books, movies. http://www.cmmdb.com

-Hunter
Go to Top of Page

shivakm

USA
41 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  10:50:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit shivakm's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Copied from my topic 'I am That' by Nisargadatta Maharaj under books, tapes and scriptures"

Just wanted to write a little bit about my experience with this book. I recently came across this title and picked it up in my local library in Dallas. I should say that the Q&A with Nisargadatta Maharaj had a profound effect on me. I was spell bound by some of the answers that he provided to the questions. His insight into the advaita philosophy cuts through layers of misconception like a sharp knife. And best of all there is no preaching or any other requirement to follow any tradition. And Nisargadatta does not claim of any super natural powers etc. and there is absolutely no mythologizing. I found that some of his answers reflected the same approach advocated by Ramana Maharishi in finding who we are. Nisargadata says that we should always stay with the feeling "I am". I can not but wonder the significance of the mantra given in AYP "I AM" and the correlation that it has with Nisargadatta's teaching.

Make sure to check out the reviews of this book in Amazon.com, (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cu...3155&s=books). Some folks have written very good reviews for this book. And after reading the book, I feel that their opinions are not exaggerated at all. In my opinion this is a "must read" for people in the path of enlightenment.

I would also like to hear about the comments of other people in this forum who have read this book.
Go to Top of Page

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2007 :  04:32:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Currently

Easy Lessons for Ecstatic Living, by Yogani
The Alchemist, by Paulo Cuelho (sp?)
The Prophet, by Kahlil Gibran,
and
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? By Phillip K. Dick

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000